Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wild sunflowers~Think Green Thursday 092409











Here in the desert southwest, a variety of wild sunflower grows in many locations. I've seen these from Arizona to our desert near Palm Springs. These are not the mammoth sunflowers like you find in gardens. Oh, no! These are a wild variety that seems to be able to grow without much water. I cultivated some seeds from around the valley and planted them in my yard last spring. They are still blooming long after my mammoth ones dried out and died. The only thing I noticed was that they were difficult to get started. Perhaps they need massive amounts of water to get started? I would love to collect more seeds again and see if this year I can do a better job with them. And, yes, they grow in places that do not receive any water as I see a whole stand of them by my school out in a field that doesn't get any additional watering. Think Green Thursday for September 24, 2009.

2 comments:

Tulip said...

wow what a field of wild sunflowers.

Anonymous said...

I like that you took some natives and planted them. I wonder about all the water that is put on all the non-native plants and grass lawns that people have. I do love sunflowers though.... Thank you for posting to Think(ing) Green Thursday ... Michelle