Thursday, June 24, 2010

Smoke tree blossoms~SkyWatch Friday 062510










I hadn't noticed that the smoke trees had their blossoms until yesterday when I drove down the hill from the horse ranch where I board my horses up in our local mountains. I have just been so busy lately that I haven't taken the time to notice things around the desert! So, Wednesday I stopped to take some photos of the smoke trees and their flowers. This only happens when it is warm enough here in the desert. They were covered with both blossoms AND bees and it was difficult to get close enough to take a few photos! Smoke trees are very interesting and unique trees here in our desert. They require a flood to scratch the seeds (as they go over rocks!) and for every inch above ground, their roots extend a FOOT under the ground! If you see smoke trees in a wash, you KNOW that a flood has occured there. I frequently scan the desert for smoke trees and make a mental note to avoid those spots during our monsoon season of July and August. SkyWatch Friday for June 25, 2010.

5 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

They are so beautiful against the bright blue sky!

LV said...

I never heard of these trees. Since I am not familiar with your part of the country, I guess would not. I love them. Very pretty.

Unknown said...

oh, gorgeous! the blue sky is a perfect background.

Rajesh said...

Beautiful blossoms. Very colorful.

Linnea said...

Interesting...smoke trees! They sure are pretty when they bloom. What lovely soft colors you've captured in these shots. Thanks for stopping by at my SWF. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!