Friday, November 28, 2008

Skywatch Friday November 28, 2008


We had a winter storm here in our desert this week. We finally got our first rain of the season, yesterday and Wednesday. Rain was desperately needed here in the desert and I awoke Wednesday morning at 3:00 a.m. to hear it dripping off my roof onto our bedroom patio. That morning, I went outside and cast my California poppy seeds and African daisy seeds onto a bare spot in my front yard. I also went over to our daughter's apartment in Palm Springs to help her prepare for Thanksgiving dinner. The clouds around the mountains were so pretty, I drove out to the Indian canyons which are at the end of Palm Canyon Drive, in south Palm Springs. The sun was peeking between some of the clouds and I tried to wait for a good shot. The clouds were moving quickly and the light was shifting, but I was able to capture this photo. Aren't the mountains magical?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the rays coming out of the sky on the right.

Mary said...

Very dramatic sky! I'm glad you got rain.

Tanya Breese said...

Beautiful! What part of the desert are you in? When my husband was stationed at 29Palms we'd visit Palm Springs quite often :)
Happy Skywatch!

Torsdag 1952 said...

Wunderful postcard scenerie. I like this special atmosphere.
When I visited the desert the first time I saw something like that, realy stunning.
Thanks for sharing
Hallo from Germany

dianasfaria.com said...

yes, they really are beautiful, great capture!

Powell River Books said...

The desert is beautiful. A good geologist friend always called it "naked geology." The earth can tell its story so much easier in the desert. Thanks for sharing. I invite you to come see my Coastal BC sunrise and sunset. - Margy

Cheryl said...

Beautiful photograph....mountains are indeed magical......also inspiring......

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Reminds me of a scene from Lord of the Rings. Very drama filled. Great shot!

Happy Sky Watch Friday!
~Lisa
New Mexico