Saturday, April 24, 2010

New snow and dramatic skies!







A storm front moved in this past week, on Wednesday and Thursday, and our local mountains got snow down to 3,500 feet. My horses are boarded at 4,000 feet and the ranch owner sent me an email that they indeed had snow! So, I probably won't be able to work with my horses this weekend, but I'll go up and take photos and feed them their psyllium. I stopped by the road Thursday morning and took these photos. Just LOOK at all that snow! Our mountains have had snow as late as Memorial Day some years. I remember one time, back in the 1970's, when I was still going to graduate school, that my husband and I decided to take the mountain roads home from Riverside to Palm Desert. So, up the mountains we drove (school was just ending, so this was late May...) and it started snowing in Idyllwild. So, yes, we do get late snows and I have a feeling that this year, we may get some!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sha-zame! A mid-spring snow in California. I think you definately should go up!

Helen said...

Good morning! We are also still getting those snows on the mountains - above 4000 feet. Hopefully no lower, but it's been known to happen here in May!