Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hay~~That's My World for Tuesday, April 21, 2009







When I went to the feed store on Saturday, they had just received their hay delivery and the bales were neatly stacked! The gal who boards my horses buys her hay a truckload at a time, so she won't need any for a couple of months. I LOVE to see and smell hay! It's so ... earthy! So, for Earth Day today, I thought I'd post some pics of the hay delivery. There are actually two feed stores in town where I board my horses, but the other one is CLOSED (can you believe it?) on Saturday! Most of the alfalfa grown in California is grown in Brawley, near the Arizona border, and I see many hay trucks on the freeway every morning on my way to school driving up from the Imperial Valley. My cousin's wife's father used to grow his own alfalfa down in Thermal, on his 40 acre ranch years ago and he would give me a bale every now and then for my home garden. One time I opened up a bale, pulled off a flake and screamed! 8 little eyes were staring and screeching at me! MICE! I screamed at them, they screamed at me, and ran off as quickly as they could! I sure learned a lesson about opening up bales of hay! Have a Happy Earth Day!

5 comments:

Diane AZ said...

Happy Earth Day! I don't have horses, but every now and then I like to visit the feed store and get a bale of hay to use in the garden for mulch. I also love the way hay looks and smells!

Mary Elizabeth said...

Happy Earth Day!
Thanks for sharing your world.
Visit That’s My World Tuesday

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

I love the hay pix.. only wish I had a bunch of that in my barn!! It is still way to expensive.. ours comes from Eastern Washington, the weather there is hot and dry in the summer.

Happy Earth Day..

Jan :)

Unknown said...

Happy Late Earth day to you too!

I love the Saguaro Cactus, they are so handsome to see, it has been a very long time since I smell bales of hay.

Delphine said...

Thankyou for a lovely earth-day post, Cheryl Ann! What a pity you don't live near me! I have about 20 acres of fields and let the local farmer come in and cut for hay twice a year in return for other jobs around my property. You would be able to come and help yourself!