Thursday, April 2, 2009

Palo verde blossoms~~SkyWatch Friday April 3, 2009


I have a palo verde in my front yard. Normally these desert trees don't have many leaves on them and are basically "green sticks" (palo verde = green stick, in Spanish). They do have very tiny leaves, to conserve moisture during the hot summer months. I bought this one at the Living Desert Reserve several years ago, in a 1 gallon pot. It is now over 6 feet tall and I have to trim it all the time! It is out front by our front fence, near the street. I have a couple of other ones in the yard and birds like to make their nests in them. I have another one, in the back yard, that naturalized, and came up on its own. It is now about 4 feet tall. The seeds need a LOT of water to sprout, but once they sprout, they grow very easily in our desert southwest. This one, however, has the most blooms, probably because it gets reflected heat from both the street and the fence behind it. SkyWatch Friday for April 3, 2009.

12 comments:

Sally in WA said...

Very nice photo. Thanks for info on Palo Verde, too. I learned something new today!

Larry D said...

Great photo! Interesting info, thanks

Sharon said...

Great shot. Love the yellow against that blue sky. Interesting post too.

Sharon

Naturegirl said...

I'm loving seeing all the yellow blossoms from the palo verde trees against the bluest skies here in AZ!
I love this image one I see daily!!

CJ said...

Beautiful contrast between the yellow and the blue sky.

floreta said...

looks like lovely spring.

CTG Ponies said...

Very pretty!

Diane AZ said...

I love your picture of the palo verde blossoms. I planted a palo verde in my yard, it didn't make it, but now I have volunteers sprouting up and one is blooming. :)

Cheryl said...

I have never hear of Palo Verde....it is beautiful and it would seem to be a great plant for wildlife.....

Lovely to see something different.......

Dawn Fine said...

I love the yellow flowers against the blue sky!

Ritsumei said...

Deserts are so beautiful. And when the plants are blooming, even more so. Thanks.

Ritsumei

Girl Tornado said...

What a beautiful plant, and so perfect against a blue sky with its bright, cheerful yellow blooms! Thanks for sharing the info on the Palo Verde plant, quite interesting. :)