Sunday, May 24, 2009

hay and hay loader~Sunday Stills for May 24, 2009
















I watch this field on its yearly basis. Right now, the farmer is growing some kind of grass that he just bailed and loaded into the hay loader. After this, it will be planted with potatoes. After that, in the fall, it is planted with sudan grass. And, in the winter and early spring, when the winds blow, and the sudan grass is gone and the fields lie fallow, his neighbors all call the county and complain about the dust. It is a cycle that I've seen now for two years. We were surprised to see the bales this weekend as it is a very poor quality hay, mostly weeds, but I guess somebody buys it! It is NOT alfalfa. On our way home from the horses yesterday, the hay bailer was out picking up (scooping up) the bales and we stopped and I hopped out of the car to take some pics. When he came toward me and turned the corner, I got a mouthful of grass from the bailer and I'm sure I got a chuckle out of the gentleman driving it!

6 comments:

CTG Ponies said...

Great pics! Maybe the hay is used for cows? The cows can tolerate the poorer quality hay better than the horses can.

Carroll Baker said...

yum... sounds like you had fun and "lunch" taking the shots!

Ed said...

Very nice, and informative..:-)

flowerweaver said...

It's amazing anything will grow there, as the soil doesn't look particularly rich in nutrients. We live on the edge of a desert and make our own soil by composting.

At least the farmer has some kind of rotational plan. Thanks for sharing!

VioletSky said...

and you still called him a 'gentleman'!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Interesting to watch a landscape through the seasons..I do that also..funny what you can see. How did the hay taste?? :)