Saturday, May 9, 2009

"Corn as high as an elephant's eye"











That's right! And, it is only MAY!!! I couldn't believe it! Last Sunday, when I walked over to my neighborhood street fair/farmer's market, I saw fresh corn. No, really! FRESH CORN in May! So, I asked the vendor where it was growing and he mentioned a place about 10 miles down the road from my school! So, yesterday afternoon, after school (I had brought my cameras with me...), I hopped in the car and went further south down the Coachella Valley to find the corn. Yup. There it was. Right off the highway. The first field was in a spot that I couldn't make a u-turn and get to, so I continued on down the road. I found a wide, well used paved road and turned off (Avenue 62) and to my delight, there were fields after fields of corn! As high as "an elephant's eye". Others were not as high! But, ahhhhhh.....the greenery! At one field, a manager was out watering the corn and soon he completely disappeared! But, another manager DID stop by to check me out. Between my broken Spanish and his very good English, we communicated and I asked him if I could take some photos of the corn. Pretty soon, we were talking about our grown-up children and I made a new friend! He was a really nice man! And, as you all know, corn LOVES heat and believe me, with temps right now up in the low 100's, this corn is getting plenty of the heat it loves! I asked him how many crops of corn they would get here in the valley and he said 2. Isn't that interesting? So, enjoy the pics of corn growing in the Coachella Valley! On the top photo, you can see where the farmer had harvested the first corn crop. And, next to it, is the second crop, but eventually BOTH of these will be done with and they'll plant another crop on another location (the real second crop)...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, we don't even have our seed in the ground!

Diane AZ said...

Unbelievable to see all that corn in May. That is a lot of greenery, and it looks heavenly!

Unknown said...

Yum! Fresh corn is such a treat!